Parish History

First World War Honour Board

First World War Honour Board

This parish began an independent life in 1908 as a Mission District of St Augustine’s, Neutral Bay. [And St Augustine's was a daughter church of St Thomas, North Sydney.]

The Foundation Stone of the Church was laid by the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Harry Rawson on 30 January 1909. The sanctuary, tower, transepts and first bay were built and opened for worship in May that year. The rest of the nave, the baptistry and porch were built in 1910 and dedicated by Archbishop Wright on 26 May 1911.

In 1912 St Peter’s was made a full parish with Synod representation.

The parish hall was begun in 1922 as a war memorial and opened in 1923 by William Morris Hughes MHR. The church itself, being free of debt, was consecrated by Archbishop Mowll on 5 December 1948.

Ernest Alfred Scott, the architect of St Peter’s, was strongly influenced by the first rector, the Rev’d James Chaseling. Accordingly, the building was designed in the light of the principles of the Oxford Movement, the nineteenth century Catholic Revival which had begun in the Church of England in the 1830s.

The building is an important local Church on an isolated triangular site which, in addition to being a fine example of Federation Gothic architecture, is an important streetscape item and an indicator of the late development in the area.

The Church was built in brick with a steep pitched terracotta tiled gable roof, stone sills, imposts and keystones to pointed arch windows and stone copings to buttresses. Other features include a circular rose window in the east elevation, and a good bar tracery to the large pointed arch window in the west elevation. A square tower terminates in a tall pyramid spine clad in slate. Internally two sanctuary arches are regarded as an impressive feature of the building.

In 1979 the sanctuary was remodelled and enlarged in accordance with the insights of the liturgical movement which had been steadily growing in the wider Church for some years.